Tuesday, June 19, 2007

journey of the radiant baby.




One of the things I find most thrilling about being a mom is the opportunity to share all of my favorite things with Henry, and to see how he responds to them. I love to show him the pictures in all of my art books, and play songs for him that are by my favorite bands. When his reaction to such things is full of delight, I can't help but to beam with satisfaction. Certainly I can't make him like those things, per se, but I can certainly try to inspire him. Mike and I always joke that he probably won't get our creative gifts, that he'll end up like Alex P. Keaton from "Family Ties." Let's hope it is never that extreme. But Henry does seem to have a natural propensity for music and art- as much as a nine month old could show. If we leave our bedroom door open, he crawls straight for Mike's bass and guitar stands, and will sit there an pluck the strings. I showed him one of my Keith Haring books- K.H. is one of my favorite artists of all time. When I opened up the cover, Henry was so enthralled with what he saw before him that he actually crawled inside of the book. When I turned the pages to some of Haring's "radiant baby" paintings, Henry began a chorus of excited baby-talk and smacked the images with his hands. I can't help but to think of all the fun we are going to have together, all of the places we will go, all of the great, amazing things we will see.

No comments: