Tuesday, October 24, 2006

space oddity.


Don't let those adorable pictures of Henry smiling so innocently and calmly in the last post fool you. I wish he looked like that all of the time. But he doesn't. For the past two days he has taken to screaming his head off until I stick a boob in his mouth. He used to prefer the left boob, now he doesn't care. He's an equal opportunity purveyor of breast. Any side will do, as long as I get it in there pronto. He used to like his pacifier, but now he just spits it out onto the floor- not in a nonchalant way, but deliberately, as if to say "how DARE you stick that thing into my mouth!" Thank god Mike and I have a large yard surrounding our house, otherwise we'd be driving the neighbors crazy with the noise. When Henry starts screaming sometimes it helps to yell along with him, but in a funny joking way. Howling like a wolf works; periodically beeping loudly like a robot sometimes does the trick. Lately nothing is working. It was funny though- in a desperate moment I started singing Bowie's Space Oddity to him, substituting Major Henry for Major Tom. Totally random- I don't know why this song came to mind, but it worked. I incorporated some dancing- he likes to be swooped around like a bird- and it calmed him... for a moment or two. Long enough for him to wish his mommy had a better singing voice probably.
I went to the grocery store today and practically ran through the aisles hoping to make it out of there without him having a meltdown in public. At the deli the guy was taking his time on the thickness of the cuts. In slow motion he held up a piece of turkey for my approval. I just wanted to say 'look guy, I don't care if you wrap the turkey up still alive, I need to get this baby out of here!!!'. But then I stopped, took a deep breath and told him the thickness was perfect. I don't want to be one of those mean impatient people no matter how tired I am or how stressful things are. And I will continue to breastfeed no matter how exhausting it is, because I know it is the best thing for Henry. I just pray these cluster feedings taper off sooner rather than later.
I can't believe it- this has totally become a mommy blog. Arggh. Sorry folks!

No comments: