Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tuesday A.M.

Had to take the walk of shame this past weekend. I was having labor pains in my back. My husband Michael made me call the doctor, who instructed me to go to the hospital. Of course the contractions slowed down once I was in gown with monitors all hooked up. Oh well. Henry just wasn't ready. If anything we got to do a 'dress rehearsal' of the actual event, and are all signed in for when the time comes. Also, I got to listen to Henry's heart beat for an hour and a half. A lovely sound. we kept the graph that charted our vital signs together. An interesting memento. As we were leaving the hospital, another couple was walking out who had done the same thing. I guess it is a common thing, and I shouldn't feel bad. I was just following doctors orders.

Last night I watched a documentary looking back at hurricane Katrina- a year later and I am still shocked and horrified. I just can't fathom how something like that could happen- how these people were just left to suffer. It makes me want to throw up. All over Washington. I can't believe it has been a year since all of that went down. If you are poor, you are screwed. If you are poor and you are black, you are totally screwed. I could rant on and on about this, but given my condition I shouldn't stress myself out. Besides, I just got off of the phone with my mom and already ranted with her about this for an hour. Whew.

Today I am going to paint four small canvases for Henry's room. There is a bare wall above the crib that needs some color/interest. When I figure out how to upload pictures (our iphoto library is a dreadful mess) I will share some images...

With all of the hurricane stuff in the news today, it is a good time to reflect on what REALLY matters; and to reflect on how to make what really matters, MATTER more. n'est-ce pas? n'est-ce pas.

No comments: