Tuesday, August 18, 2009

okay, so i am garden crazy.









I truly believe that everything we need to know about ourselves, our lives, and our place in the universe can be understood by looking in the garden. Plants and how they grow, the insects and animals that they bring, each provide a very simple model for our own lives and how we live them and even where they will bring us. Preparing the land, sowing some seeds, and then weeding said garden is a lot cheaper and less invasive than visiting a shrink and becoming a slave to antidepressants. Seriously.

I am in love with flowers in the visceral sense, and respond to this through the production that takes place, in my case, through floral arrangements. Much like painting for me, my combing flowers (like paint colors) is an emotional response. It is only after an acceptably pleasing arrangement has been made, that i realize that science was also at work. It is easier for me to go to the flower market and pick out the specimens I desire for a final product than actually growing such things in my yard. That is a much more difficult task. But a task that I yearn and strive for. It is sometimes painful to look at my pathetic weed-torn yard, with amazing visualizations of perennial borders and english-style cutting gardens, and savory herb patches and vegetable rows throughout, spanning through my mind. One can only dream, and hope that all of that dreaming might bring one closer to a full-on palpable realization of garden salvation.

So I sort of tended my weeds this summer. Lack of funds meant lack of new plants. Some people graciously donated some starts of perennials from their yards- some delicious ground covers, and a nice start of some long coveted spiderwort from my friend Theresa. My mom took pity on me and brought some elephant ears, dahlia tubers, and planted a couple of symmetrical annual borders for me to flank our new brick steps in the backyard. She gave me some more hostas, and some lily of the valleys- a plant that had started from a piece from her great-aunts garden (i lovvvvvvve heirloom plants!!). I planted some tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, squash and zucchini. The tomatoes and cucumbers have been successful. It is very hard to garden with a new baby, because the problem arises that there is no where to put the baby while you garden. I tried at first with the new native carrier, but she kept almost tumbling out. And the baby bjorn carrier kept her secure, but then she was hanging right on the front of me and it was hard to use my hands and even see what I was doing. I would have kept her in the playyard, but she screamed. I would have put her on the ground, but there was a multi-fold attack of first: mayflies, early to late spring, then giant cicada-eating wasps, early to mid-summer, and then a horrible proliferation of mosquitos- now. So, I did the best I could. The squash and the zucchini succombed to an early death from some kind of a powdery mildew rot. I found a good home remedy for this, but time got away from me. Everything else did well. (not mentioning the round-up debacle of 2009- oh wait, i just mentioned it....)

So yes, I'm obsessed, and looking forward to next year when I can let Henry and Annie run off and play in the sprinkler while I really get down to business. In the fall Mike and I are going to build our long-awaited outdoor fireplace so that we can properly roast our oysters and drink beer outdoors on cool fall nights and cold winter ones grounded in a set space; instead of just hovering around the grill. This will dictate a new hardscape that I look forward to tackling. Above are some pictures of my giant elephant ears (some grew four feet at least in length...), Henry bringing me handfuls of premature cherry tomatoes... and my sunflowers. You can sort of see my morning glories in the background. Note: plant your morning glory seeds with your moonflowers, next to your sunflowers (and maybe throw in lots of nasturtiam seeds). You will have color all day by easy to grow seeds (and you can eat the nasturtiam flowers with your salad and feel all fancy and whatever).

When your vegetables start growing, combine them with whatever else you like from the farmer's market, simmer them on the stove in some olive oil with some chopped up garlic (hopefully the giant elephant variety that maybe a dear neighbor gives you) on low, toss them together with some cooked extra wide egg noodles, maybe some capers, or crumbled feta or goat's cheese, drink a glass of chilled pinot grigio with it, and taste heaven. next night- chop and repeat. and then, chop and repeat.

7 comments:

suzystel said...

what is the remedy for the squash/zuchinni mildew thing? we keep having to prune ours back due to this stuff, every day or two after it rains.
we attempted morning glories paired with moon flowers, but they never sprouted. i read on the package later that we were supposed to knick the seeds before planting. although we didn't knick them, i didn't think that would keep them from sprouting though.
btw it's amazing how much i have learned in just one year of gardening. for instance, a year ago i wouldn't have known what the heck you were talking about

suzystel said...

oops, yeah so anyway i wouldn't have known the flowers you were referring to in your post below. but now i do, because we've spent so many saturdays wandering around the local nurseries trying to get ideas for the landscaping.
ps. outdoor fireplace=awesome!

swampy said...

great post honey! after this garage sale we are gonna build a kick ass pit!

Marissa said...

suzy-
i found this on 'design sponge' -- the 'weeder's digest' column

1 Tablespoon of baking soda
2 Tablespoons of canola oil
1 Teaspoon of liquid-soap like Dr. Bronners
1 Gallon of water
Hose off your infected plants first, then give a good spray...spray the leaves and the soil. Always spray in the evening, after the sun has set so you’re treated leaves don’t “burn” in the heat of mid-day sun.

when we get our firepit finished we'll have you and aaron over to roast oysters. you guys like oysters?

Marissa said...

oh yeah, and nic those seeds and then soak them overnight. they will sprout right away.

Anonymous said...

страна у вас большая...чего совсем нельзя сказать о подсолнухах...

docent said...

bor1743is@mail.ru